Recipes

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What a difference a year makes!

Disclaimer:  These knees are not pretty.

I know its not good for a person but I used to eat Tylenol and Advil like it was candy to get through my days.  I tried to not let my knees hold me back from what I wanted to do...and for the most part I think I did a really good job at that.  I still was a super busy person...floral work, craft shows and classes, holiday window painting, camping, ATV riding, BBQ contests, water aerobics, walk Cassy, everyday stuff...the list goes on.  The day I pulled into the Michael's parking lot and didn't get out of the car I knew I'd met my limits.  I just sat in my car and cried...I felt truly defeated.  
A new round of X-rays showed that there was no cartilage left, my knees were bone-on-bone.  No wonder every movement was painful.  

  
 One year ago today I hobbled into the hospital for a double knee replacement.  It had been a 15 year process to get to that point for me.  I have been through years and years of cortisone shots every three months, I tried the gel shots...they worked for about a year to 15 months, and 3 rounds of arthroscopic surgery on my knees.  
I was actually excited for this.  Seriously, kinda weird I know.  Who in the right mind would be excited to have surgery on both knees at the same time?  Me!
I spent 10 days in the hospital and rehab.  I really didn't want to go to rehab but am so glad I did.  It was worth the extra time away from home.  I spent 8 hours a day on the CPM machines, occupational therapy, physical therapy and exercise.  I came home and spent another 3 weeks on the CPM machines for 8 hours a day.  I had a great home care nurse that came everyday and a physical therapist that pushed me.  
This is what they look like today.  
I got clearance to do pretty much whatever I want to do from Dr. Bradford in January.  In May, we went to Moab, Utah for a week of ATV riding and exploring.  I even hiked about 3 miles...a huge deal and success for me!  We spent Labor Day riding and exploring the Paiute Trail from Marysvale, Utah.  What a great time.  
Barbecue contests and catering have been sooo much more enjoyable.  Turn-ins are not something I dread now.  I look forward to doing more very soon.
I just finished up my three largest craft shows and I have to say what a difference a year makes.  It was like comparing day and night in the way that I felt during and when they were complete. 

I feel blessed to be able to have both knees replaced.  It is a life changing event for me. I've had a great support system behind me with my hubby, parents, and friends and family.  I continue to go to my water aerobics class, its so good for me.  We've bought bikes and ride 3-4 nights a week...Cassy has even learned to trot along beside me.  We even look forward to it.  
  
I would recommend having knee replacements for anyone that is considering it.  I also highly recommend my orthopedist, Dr. Michael Bradford.  He's amazing!  

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails